Parallel Port CD-ROM

I've recently installed Debian on my ThinkPad 360ce and I'm not sure how to configure it for my parallel port CD-ROM.  I've read lots of
documentation and tried several methods:

/dev/hdb

/dev/lp0

/dev/ppa

all to no avail.

I also tried the mount command:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /CD-ROM

and it didn't work either.

I have not yet installed the PCMCIA Card Services which brings me to another problem:
whenever I try to use dselect to install the package from my floppy drive I get all sorts of I/O errors.

All suggestions, tips, and 'newbie bashings'
welcome.

Thanks,

Pam
Pamela McCellon LaBay