Re: midi software

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Will Lowe wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Timothy Phan wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >   I'm in the middle of learning to play keyboard/piano.  I'd like to
> >   know if there is any MIDI software on Linux that can help me.
>
> Well,  the rosegarden sequencer/music notation package is pretty nifty,
> but it not a piano tutorial;  it's geared more for writing/sequenceing
> music.
>
> >   I've AWE32 soundblaster card.  I'd like to know what driver do
> >   need.  Currently,  my Debian/Linux box can not play any sound and
> >   I guessed that I do not have the driver for the soundcard.  So, I
> >   would like to know how do I go about install the driver.
>
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make menuconfig
>
> then select the SOUND options and follow the directions.

In addition to this, you will probably want to get the awe driver.  The
non-commercial version is beta at this point, but it at least compiled for
me.  Trouble is, most (all?) awe cards are PnP, and you can't compile this
driver in as a module yet, so you have to use initrd.  I havn't figured
out how to do this yet, but it looks like it should work.