Re: Multiple PPP Configurations

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997 ychim@ForeverMail.com wrote:

> If you have more than one PPP links, how linux decides which links to
> send/receive packets?
>
> Ralph Winslow wrote:
> >
> > See the attached for how I do it.  Creating /etc/ppp/chatscript.work
> > and /etc/ppp/chatscript.isp and /etc/resolv.work and /etc/resolv.isp
> > are left as an exercise for the reader. This could be simpler and
> > less extensible or even more belt and suspenders than it currently
> > is, but I think this strikes a nice balance.  YMMV
> >
> > On 01-Oct-97 Walter L. Preuninger II wrote:
> > >
> > >Is there a way to have more than one pppd configuration? Getting another
> > >modem is not an option.
> > >
> > >What I would like is something along these lines:
> > >       pon work
> > >       poff
> > >       pon internet
> > >
> > >where work has the ppp options/chatscript for dialing up the office, and
> > >internet has the ppp options/chatscript for going online.

I didn't see the messages before this, so maybe it's already been
answered, but...

Put all your chatscripts in /etc/chatscripts.

Put all your option files in /etc/ppp/peers.  Each option file should
include an "-f /etc/chatscripts/my-chatscript" option that points to the
the appropriate chatscript.

Now you can say "pppd call name-of-peers-file".

Then, symlink /etc/ppp/peers/provider to your most frequently-used
peerscript.  Now you can type "pon" and it will automatically run "pppd
call provider".

Both the "pppd call ..." and pon/poff commands can be run by members of
the dip group as well as root.  This is in contrast to any other
invocation of pppd, which requires root privilege.

Then, of course, there's the PAP/CHAP problem.  If you have to use this, I
would hardlink /etc/ppp/chap-secrets and /etc/ppp/pap-secrets together, so
you don't have to remember which secret goes where this week.  I've only
dealt with the case where one ISP used PAP/CHAP and the other didn't, so I
don't know how well ppp does if both ISPs use it.

***
In regards to the first question, if you mean, "How does Linux handle
multiple simultaneous PPP connections?" (say if you have two modems, or
modem plus Ethernet card, to connect to multiple networks, for instance,
one being a private network and the other your ISP), it uses the routing
table (shown by the "route" command), which says which range of IP
addresses should go through which link (=interface).  Only one link should
have the "default route" 0.0.0.0, which is for "everything else".

************** MICHAEL SCOTT ORR <mso@jimpick.com> *****************
*    *  1405 NE 56th Street, Seattle, WA 98105 USA     *   English *
*    *  Tel: +1 (206) 522-9627, fax: 328-6209          *    Russki *
*    *  Work: mso@u.washington.edu                     * Esperanto *