Re: Advice printing on a network Laserjet 4L (fwd)

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Pete Harlan wrote:

> Some folks run into the problem that none of their input filters get
> used because lpd expects that the remote system will do the input
> filtering.  Since your remote "system" is the printer itself, there's
> nowhere to specify an input filter (e.g., magicfilter) that will get
> used.
You are right and that is exacly my problem.

> There is a kludge around this, but I don't remember offhand what it
> is.
The HOW-TO says one has to redirect the output since if= is not used on
remote printers. I tried their suggested work-around and it only works on
Postscript files. By the way I have a postscript printer that is also
remote and it works fine without any filters. That is it works for both
text and postscipt documents.

I am having a problem with a PCL laserjet that is closer to my office. I
think for now I will just use enscript and a2ps first on my files.

but if anyone comes with a neat idea - I am all ears.

Daniel J. Mashao --
   daniel@comgate.ee.uct.ac.za             http://www.ee.uct.ac.za/~daniel