Re: formatted floppy type??

On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Lawrence Lucier wrote:

> Hi all.........
>

> Is there any way of determining which kind of filesystem a floppy has been formatted with?  The
> reason I'm asking is because my boot floppy and install disks don't seem to respond to either
> ext2 or dos when I try to mount them.
>
> Or maybe because I'm a newbie at linux I am issuing the wrong command???  :-)

The responses to this seem to be doing a lot of guessing. My fstab
contains the following line:

/dev/fd0	/mnt		auto	rw,user,noauto	0	0

After "mount /mnt", I do a cat /proc/mounts and get:

/dev/root / ext2 rw 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
/dev/hdb6 /usr ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/hdb3 /var ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/hdb4 /home ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/hda6 /var/spool/news ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/hda5 /var/account ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/hda3 /tmp ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/hdc /cd/0 iso9660 ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/hdd /cd/1 iso9660 ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/hda1 /dos vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt vfat ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0

Looks like vfat to me!

: W. Paul Mills          : Bill, I was there several years ago.     :
: Topeka, Kansas, U.S.A. : Why would I want to go back tomorrow?    :
: wpmills@midusa.net     : Where were you!                          :
: paulmills@bix.com      : Linux:     Tomorrow's operating system,  :
: paulmills@aol.com      :            here, today.                  :
: compuserve 70023,1750  : #define MY_TRUE_LOVE computer            :
:--------------  http://homepage.midusa.net/~wpmills/  -------------: