Re: formatted floppy type??

On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Lawrence Lucier wrote:

> Is there any way of determining which kind of filesystem a floppy has been formatted with?  The
> reason I'm asking is because my boot floppy and install disks don't seem to respond to either
> ext2 or dos when I try to mount them.
>
> Or maybe because I'm a newbie at linux I am issuing the wrong command???  :-)

The boot disk may be a raw kernel image.  No filesystem, just the kernel.
If it's a lilo disk made during installation, it's probably msdos (mount
-t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt).  The install disk for the base system are
probably a multi volume tar archive.  See the tar man page about these.

> "It's A Magical World, Hobbes, Ol' Buddy... ...Let's Go Exploring !"

Like the sig.

Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell                         E-mail: bhmit1@mail.wm.edu
  Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/7877/home.html
                  PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu
"We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds."
	--Linus Torvalds