mounting cdrom

When I installed debian the base system from cdrom I was asked the name of
the block device.  It would not accept cd or cdrom, so I tried hdb.  This
worked and the install proceded without incident. This may have caused  a
problem
Now I am having trouble mounting the cdrom.  Below is my fstab including
the various changes I tried. Below that is a list of the command line
mounts I tried and the message returned
#
/dev/hda2               /               ext2    defaults    0       1
/dev/hda3               none            swap    sw          0       0
proc                /proc          	 proc    defaults    0       0
/dev/hda5 	  /usr  		 ext2    defaults      0   2
/dev/hda6 	  /var   		ext2    defaults      0   2
/dev/hda7	   /home 		  ext2    defaults      0   2
/dev/hdb         /cdrom	        	iso9660  ro,noauto    0     0
on the last entry I also tried /dev/cdrom and /dev/sbpcd
These all return message, after typing mount (hdb, cdrom, sbpcd) at a
prompt,
 "mount can't find * in /etc/mtab or /etc/fstab.

Trying to mount from a command line produced the same results, but a
different message.
"mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/hdb    /cdrom "         produces
mount: /dev/hdb already mounted or /cdrom busy     I also tried it for
cdrom and sbpcd.  In all these cases nothing ever appears in /cdrom.

What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it?

 Thankyou
Tom
ps. Yes, there is a cd in the drive