Re: mounting cdrom

In looking at your problem there could be several things going on.
First
the way that your /etc/fstab is set up ONLY ROOT can mount the cdrom.
If
this is what you want that is fine.  Secondly when mounting a file
system
there can be no user in the mount point directory.  Ie if root attempted
to mount /cdrom and on another tty some attempted to check the /cdrom
directory, or cd /cdrom the system will return the error message that
you
received.

I know for I have done it myself having a cursor in /cdrom and
attempting to
mount the cdrom.

Also if your system is a home system, or a very small lan, you could
safely
make your fstab read:

 /dev/hdb         /cdrom                 iso9660  ro,noauto,user
0     0

which will allow all users on the system to mount a cdrom without having
be root.

I hope that this has helped

LeRoy :-)

tmalloy@escape.com wrote:

> When I installed debian the base system from cdrom I was asked the name of
> the block device.  It would not accept cd or cdrom, so I tried hdb.  This
> worked and the install proceded without incident. This may have caused  a
> problem
> Now I am having trouble mounting the cdrom.  Below is my fstab including
> the various changes I tried. Below that is a list of the command line
> mounts I tried and the message returned
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> /dev/hda2               /               ext2    defaults    0       1
> /dev/hda3               none            swap    sw          0       0
> proc                /proc                proc    defaults    0       0
> /dev/hda5         /usr                   ext2    defaults      0   2
> /dev/hda6         /var                  ext2    defaults      0   2
> /dev/hda7          /home                  ext2    defaults      0   2
> /dev/hdb         /cdrom                 iso9660  ro,noauto    0     0
> on the last entry I also tried /dev/cdrom and /dev/sbpcd
> These all return message, after typing mount (hdb, cdrom, sbpcd) at a
> prompt,
>  "mount can't find * in /etc/mtab or /etc/fstab.
>
> Trying to mount from a command line produced the same results, but a
> different message.
> "mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/hdb    /cdrom "         produces
> mount: /dev/hdb already mounted or /cdrom busy     I also tried it for
> cdrom and sbpcd.  In all these cases nothing ever appears in /cdrom.
>
> What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it?
>
>  Thankyou
> Tom
> ps. Yes, there is a cd in the drive
>
> --

          0 0
           "       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		(215) 389-5870