Re: Linux floppy disk problem

[Posted and mailed - erh! Mailed and mailed.]

In article <[🔎] 3421AB5B.CF4E74DD@mailbox.ffc.se> you wrote:
: I'm trying to install Debian Linux 1.3.1 and everything works fine until
: I try
: to make a boot disk from the install menu. The installation program
: prompts me to insert a blank floppy in the drive and I do so and press
: enter.
: The installation program then tries to format the disk and almost
: immediately exits with the following messages:
:
: Verifying track 0, head 0 end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 17
: end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 17

[Klippa, klapp kluppit repeatingly errors.]

: It doesn't matter which disk I use, it gives the exact same messages. I
: have tried with different floppy
: disks, reformatted them in DOS and Minix first (no errors when
: formatting there) but it doesn't help.
:
: I have configured my system according to the instructions in install.txt
: (disabled Shadow Ram etc.)
:
: I haven't tried with a new blank non DOS/Minix -formatted disk yet,
: would it
: make any difference?

Oh - do I regocnise this! I stumble on the _exact_ problem. I didn't
have another choice than to skip the making of the boot floppy.

There's somthing fishy about superformat, but it seemed that only I
was having any problems with it. Beside you, now.

My problem is very repeatable, as soon as try to use superformat, I
normally get this error.

I seriously doubt it will work how many floppies you'd try, but you
never know.

An alternative is to hold you breath and only do the "make linux
bootable from hard disk" and skip the "make a boot floppy" and
reboot and hope. It worked for me - YMMV.

When (if?) you finish installing try "superformat -d /dev/fd0" (or
/dev/fd1 or whatever) and see if you wont get this problem at that
time as well.

To try to pin-point the problem: is it possible that you check what
kind of floppy drive you have? I checked but now all I remember is
that it was a Teac something.

Right,

							MartinS