Linux floppy disk problem

I'm trying to install Debian Linux 1.3.1 and everything works fine until
I try
to make a boot disk from the install menu. The installation program
prompts me to insert a blank floppy in the drive and I do so and press
enter.
The installation program then tries to format the disk and almost
immediately exits with the following messages:

Verifying track 0, head 0 end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 17
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 17

Verifying track 0, head 1 end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 32
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 32

Verifying track 0, head 0 end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 17
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 17

Verifying track 0, head 1 end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 32
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 32

It doesn't matter which disk I use, it gives the exact same messages. I
have tried with different floppy
disks, reformatted them in DOS and Minix first (no errors when
formatting there) but it doesn't help.

I have configured my system according to the instructions in install.txt
(disabled Shadow Ram etc.)

I haven't tried with a new blank non DOS/Minix -formatted disk yet,
would it
make any difference?

Thanks for any help since I really want to get Linux working.

--
Jon Forsberg