Re: 2 CPU machines

--- Jesse Goldman wrote:
I've just put Debian 2.0.30 with version 6 of the deadlock patch on a new
2 CPU machine. The messages file tells me that the two CPUs were
initialized OK and that the machine is running roughly at 400 MHz. If I
run "bogomips", however, I still get out 198 MHz. I'm guessing that
bogomips is not designed for 2 CPU machines. Is that right and, if so, how
would I find out on the fly how fast the machine really is going?
Thanks....
--- end of quote ---
You are getting the correct results.  BogoMIPS is the result of a single timing
loop, which will only execute on one processor.  The other number is actually
the sum of the BogoMIPS numbers for each processor.  Try cat /proc/cpuinfo to
see info on both CPU's.  There is also a kernel patch at
http://www-isia.cma.fr/~forissie/smp_kernel_patch/ which will allow patched
versions of top and xosview (and maybe other programs, if they support this) to
show you what each CPU is doing, and how fast.  This will also provide
additional information on each CPU in the /proc hierarchy.  However, the 2.0.x
kernels have a known bug which makes it very difficult to find out which CPU is
doing what (the second CPU is reported as all system time, and no user time).
You can also use "top", which will report the sum of the two cpu's efforts.
See the recent thread on "top doesn't understand multiple processors" for more
info.

Stephen Ryan               Debian GNU/Linux 1.3
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College