vacation program

Help,

I think there was recently a discussion about this, but I
deleted it as I wasn't interested at the time.

I'm looking to provide a simple system generated Email reply to
a specific address (availability@mydomain.com). I wish to send a
simple message :- Thankyou for your enquiry I'm available in 3
days time ......

I've experimented with the vacation program supplied on the
Debian 1.2 CD, but when modifying the .forward file as indicated
in the vacation man page, I get a pipe error (whatever program I
try and forward to).

I'm using smail (as supplied on 1.2)

Am I missing something obvious ?

Can I do this via an alias from smail ?

Is there a HOWTO ?
------
    Alex Monaghan   Network Support Analyst, Royal Mail Anglia
                    London Rd, Stevenage, SG1 1AA, UK
    Email           monaghaa@royalmail.co.uk
    STD             01438 767081
    Postline        5811 7081