1.2-1.3.1 upgrade and file-rc

Hi,

     I've upgraded from 1.2 to 1.3.1, and during the process file-rc was
installed...
Well, I'm having problems with it.  First, on boot up xdm wouldn't start.
 Looking in /etc/runlevel.conf, xdm was the last line of the file and below
was a comment saying:

#THE LAST LINE IS NEVER READ!

??What's that meant to mean?  So i inserted a line between where xdm is
started and the comment:
this is the last line

Voila - xdm starts now.

Also, shutdown was malfunctioning - it would just stop after syaing 'No more
processes at this run level'.  This meant i had to just turn the computer
off....

One time, i tried just running the /etc/init.d/halt script, and came up with
errors from umount saying all the all the hard drives were busy and /proc
wasn't mounted.
?
It then halted the system, bnut this meant that each time i booted i got
'/dev/hd<number> not cleanly unmounted - check forced' which was a annoying.

All my /etc/init.d/rc<0-6>.d got deleted to which is i guess what's meant to
happen with file-rc.

Anyway, i looked at the /usr/lib/file-rc/rcfile2link.sh, and it looked like
it was supposed to put back the rc.<0-6> directories.  So i ran it.  But the
rc.<0-6> directories weren't put back...

But shutdown works properly now, except that when i boot i get complaints
about various things not found because rc.2 directory doesn't exist.

So it's still not working properly - I can't understand the docs in
/usr/doc/file-rc/ and really would like to get everything functioning
properly rather than just working-but-not-quite-right.

And another odd thing - at first after the upgrade i couldn't get X to run
at all as it complained /dev/psmouse didn't exist (but it was there...) and
someone told me that if my psaux was a module it needed to be loaded before
/dev/psmouse could be found (dunno what that meant really, but i know what
modules are), so i incommented #auto in /etc/modules to get kerneld running
and voila it worked.  But i never had to do this on my 1.2 setup.  What
changed???

Thanks for any help and advice,

     Martin