Re: [QF] fetchmail

kestrel@aye.net writes:

[snip]

> fetchmail: SMTP connect to (null) failed

[snip]

> the error seems to be in the SMTP connect to (null) failed

Can you find out whether the problem is at the fetchmail end or the
smail end?  I'm not using smail, so the messages will be different,
but try:

% telnet localhost smtp
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 psyche.evansnet ESMTP
QUIT
221 psyche.evansnet
Connection closed by foreign host.
% telnet `hostname` smtp
Trying 192.168.117.2...
Connected to psyche.evansnet.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 psyche.evansnet ESMTP
QUIT
221 psyche.evansnet
Connection closed by foreign host.

Also try adding `-S localhost' to the fetchmail options.

--
		Carey Evans  <*>  c.evans@clear.net.nz

   "On the telephone line I am anyone, I am anything I want to be."
                                       - Savage Garden, _Santa Monica_