Re: 3C509B ISA Detection

Darin D. wrote:

> Simply put, I cannot get my 3Com Etherlink III (3C509B) to work with
> Debian Linux 1.3.1 kernel 2.0.29. (i486DX4 VLB w/16MB)

Here, no problems with a 3C509B. I disabled pnp and set the irq to 5
(for arbitrary reasons.)
IIRC it worked fine already with the default kernel, but I built a
leaner one with 3C509 support rolled in.
Again, no problems at all.

What do you get from `cat /proc/{interrupts,io}` ?

> I have recompiled the kernel with static and module support.  I have
> tried 'insmod' and 'modprobe -a 3c509.o' and get back things like
> device or resoure busy and '/lib/modules/2.0.29/net/3c509.o unresolved
> symbol mca_set_adapter_name, mca_find_adaptor, mca_read_stored_pos.

Doesn't the "mca" in these messages refer to the IBM MCA bus "standard"?
Wouldn't that interfere with the VLB bus tou say you have?

Before I found out that my 3C509 went into a genuine PCI pentium, I
thought for a while that the IBM Personal Computer 330 does MCA too -
which it doesn't. Anyway, while reading about MCA I understood that it
does some autodetecting on your busses. Maybe that would be the reason
why your card is not seen by the kernel. Did you compile some kind of
MCA support/compatibility in? Just a wild guess, I hope it helps you.

> I finally went to the point of reinstalling Debian and when I tried the
> module probe for the 3C509 series I got device or resoure busy.  The card
> lights up fine in the back as well.

I guess you probed with irq and io parameters and without (to
autodetect)?

> Now when I boot up I get the SCIOCC... problems talked about in the
> Ethernet-HOWTO.  I think these come from my /etc/init/d/network file which
> has all of the 'ifconfig' commands.  But no where do I see in 'dmesg |
> more' anything about my ethernet card.

The messages are caused by the absense of a network interface.

Joost