3C509B ISA Detection

Hi.  I will try and make this as brief as possible while trying to explain
everything I have tried.

Simply put, I cannot get my 3Com Etherlink III (3C509B) to work with
Debian Linux 1.3.1 kernel 2.0.29. (i486DX4 VLB w/16MB)

Before I go on I should add that I have not used this in any other machine
either, like Win95.  I run the DOS Etherdisk diagnostics and everything
works fine.  I have tried it with and without the PNP options enabled.  I
have changed the IRQ and base addresses to various ones.

But every time I boot up linux I get no mention of even a probe for eth0.
I have tried lilo boot time parameters like 'linux ether=10,0x0300,eth0'
as well as ones in my /etc/lilo.conf like 'append reserve=0x0300,32
ether=10,0x0300,0,0,eth0.'

I have recompiled the kernel with static and module support.  I have
tried 'insmod' and 'modprobe -a 3c509.o' and get back things like
device or resoure busy and '/lib/modules/2.0.29/net/3c509.o unresolved
symbol mca_set_adapter_name, mca_find_adaptor, mca_read_stored_pos.

I finally went to the point of reinstalling Debian and when I tried the
module probe for the 3C509 series I got device or resoure busy.  The card
lights up fine in the back as well.

Now when I boot up I get the SCIOCC... problems talked about in the
Ethernet-HOWTO.  I think these come from my /etc/init/d/network file which
has all of the 'ifconfig' commands.  But no where do I see in 'dmesg |
more' anything about my ethernet card.

I feel like either my card is broken or I have no support compiled in for
my card.  I have tried everything I know how to do.  I have thouroughly
read the Ethernet-HOWTO and NET-3-HOWTO's as well.  I'm stuck!

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

darin
darind@u.arizona.edu