Re: I2O article

On Tue, Aug 26, 1997 at 10:41:12AM +0100, Ted Harding wrote:
> Assuming this assessment is correct (and why not?), I think the key
> question is:
>
>     Will it in due course become, for practical purposes, impossible
>     to practice computing without these I20 thingies?

[snip]
> So what augmented functionality will flow from I20? Or will it simply be
> the case that with the passage of time it will become so difficult to find
> non-I20 kit that for practical purposes that will be all that's possible?
> (Just as it's not so easy now to find a 5-1/4" floppy drive if you need
> one).

It's an interesting thought, and you could well be right. The universal
serial bus has been in the making for years it seems; my current
motherboard of 10 months has it. Yet I am still to see any peripherals
available for it here in Australia at least -- weren't we to be getting
keyboards etc for it? Perhaps I2O will go the same way.

Perhaps Intel will make the same mistake(?) they did with the
Pentium manual NDA section; most of the details are in the i960 manual
anyway, and they are the same on the Pentium (eg 4mb page support).
The i960 manual is completely open, so Linux has 4mb page support.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust                                 hmoffatt@mail.com
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.