Re: Using Linux with Win95

> Hi there.
>
> I am a VERY new user, and need some help with Linux.  I have got a copy of
> the Debian Linux from a friend, and can boot up from the disk fine.  Before
> I install it though, there are a few things that I really would like to
> ask.
>
> 1.	Will it overwrite my execisting boot sector?

Only installing LILO (linux loader) in the bootsector will overwrite it.

> 2.	How can I get my computer to boot up to Win95 as default, but to Linux
> if I want to?  I need Win95 to boot up first, as my 	familiy needs to use
> it, and they don't know what to do if it does not boot to Windows.

You have several options with that. For the first time install I would
recommend NOT installing LILO but create a boot floppy (it is an option in
installation menu). To boot linux you would have to insert this floppy
and reboot the computer. You could change it to more convenient LOADLIN
menu, installing LILO to your MBR, or installing LILO on your linux root
partition and placing some other boot loader ("bootmenu" is a good choice
I myself is using) on your MBR.

> 3.	Can I access my DOS side from Linux?

Sure.

> 4.	Where can I get the documentation from?  I think that I will really need
> it ;-)

You may find Debian-specific documentation on http://www.debian.org
For general Linux information, check out http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/
(linux documentation project site)