Forking debian-user?

Certainly as a longstanding kibitzer on this list, it is none of my business.
However, I would like nevertheless to point out the following, relevent to
recent suggestions that the list splinter into two or more offspring:

Over approximately a 12 hour period today, I received debian-user digests
containing approximately the following balance of postings:

       Discussion of debian administrative matters, etc.:     60 posts.
       Help requests, and responses:                          44 posts.

The discussions have been lively and interesting, by the way.  Flames were
(needlessly) thrown.

Parenthetically, I am still confused by the fact that Debian has it's own
way with kernel sources and headers, as well as sources for packaged
modules.  I still use Debian; and I still want a system upon which I can
install unix programs of many kinds.  I do appreciate, and have come to rely
upon the ease of installing Debian packages; I would appreciate help
learning how to become less dependent.  [Meaning not that I might want
personal advice, but rather that I would appreciate  the availability of
documentation and a system conforming to some global standards (isn't that
pretty much what *nix is about?)].

The Debian watchword has been from early on, a system that can be painlessly
upgraded.  At least twice, this watchword has failed---when a.out moved over
to ELF, and when libc5 moved over to libc6.  In between these big changes,
have been an endless stream of smaller changes.

The friday snapshot is a good idea.
It's all none of my business.

Alan Davis
adavis@netpci.com