Re: Show me the money Re: Donations to Debian

Bruce,

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: schizo@debian.org (Clint Adams)
> > Did I miss the developer vote on the version numbering scheme change?
>
> A while ago we held a vote on the leadership of the project. The developers
> strongly rejected the idea of a "Roman Senate" where all decisions would be
> voted upon. They prefered to have an elected executive and ratified me to
> hold that position and appoint other positions. I have held votes since then
> when I felt that form of feedback from the developers was necessary. However
> the only one I am required to hold is the annual vote for project leader.
>
> The sense of the developers was that design-by-comittee could go wrong
> and that a strong leader was necessary to guide the group. Excuse me for
> bragging, but we've been incredibly successful under my leadership :-)
>
> Want the job? It's available January 1. I'll decide whether I'm running
> or not depending on who the candidates are. Let me warn you that it's
> a really difficult job, it takes hours of your life every day, the pay
> stinks, and you get lots of abuse.

On the other hand, of course, you can look back with pride on what has
been achieved, knowing that you have a lot of friends out there.

I'm about as far as one can get from the action, so maybe I don't know
what is going on, or maybe I can see it clearer.  I dunno.  But from here
it seems that Debian has been extremely fortunate in its choice of leader.
You have shown a remarkable capacity to see the big picture and to be able
to guide us in the right direction while contributing at the same time to
the nuts and bolts of our OS.  I have also noted in the past your broad
shoulders and your ability to shrug off ill informed criticism.  (I
remember your comment some time back about the job fitting you for a
career in politics.)

So I am just going to wait and hope that you do stand for the job again
next year.  Your contribution is very much appreciated.

I'll stand you dinner and a bottle of claret next time you venture to my
QTH.  :-)

Lindsay
vk6lj