Re: Show me the money Re: Donations to Debian

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Dave Cinege wrote:

> If the orginization were not invloded in promotions, and makings CD-Rom, they
> could get back to simply working towards the orginazation of a quality product.
> Thats their purpose as far as I'm concerned, not worring about if CD makers can
> keep their stock up to date.

I think that _anything_ that helps make Debian more mainstream and
available to new users is worthwhile as long as it doesn't compromise the
inherent stability and usefullness of the Debian distribution.

I say this not from a "We are Hackers of Debian;  Prepare to be
Assimilated" or "Let's take over the planet" standpoint,  but because in
order to get more commercially-available software into Debian
format/compatibility,  we need to make the distribution commercially
viable.  It'd be nice if eventually you could download "netscape3024.deb"
or get the newest release of your favorite
{game;utility;screensaver;officesuite} in Linux (esp. Debian) ala Quake or
Wordperfect Linux.

But it won't happen unless people are convinced that linux is a workable,
commercially-viable alternative to products from Gates,  Inc.  I think
Debian's the best shot it's got.
                     					Will

			         harpo@udel.edu
               		       lowe@cis.udel.edu