Re: HELP: formatting the hard drive

On This Day, In The Year Of Our Lord 19 Aug 97 at 22:15.
 "Re: HELP: formatting the hard drive" by Syrus Nemat-Nasser:

> I can confirm that it is enough, but that depends on what you want to
> run on the machine.  I suggest that you start with the default packages
> minus everything related to news such as inews and inn.  You probably
> can install X, but I would keep it light--only one Xserver, and only the
> minimum in fonts and documentation.  Do not install any dev packages
> unless and until you know you need them.

It's going to be a single user machine so I guess I'll install the
minimal.  I like X-Windows but I am afraid it would be impossible with
only 8 MB of ram, so I'll stick with the multiple logins =)

> If you can get your hands on some DOS system floppies, you can do the
> following: boot into DOS, run FDISK.EXE and delete all the partitions on
> the HD.  Rewrite the partition table with one DOS FAT partition.  Reboot
> again so the partition table will be read, and then use the command
> "FORMAT C:".  You will need to have a DOS floppy with FDISK and FORMAT.
> At this point, or even after you simply use FDISK, you should be able to
> use a Win '95 install floppy for the OEM version or whatever setup disk
> you might have (DOS, Win 3.1, etc.).

I was able to format the HD but I am still having trouble with Linux text
appearing on the screen.

Leandro+
___
Leandro Asnaghi-Nicastro (LA672)
Capital of Nasty Electronic Magazine - ISSN 1482-0471
Editor in Chief - http://www.capnasty.org

Have you noticed how much they look like orchids? Lovely!
 -- Notebooks of Lazarus Long (by Robert A. Heinlein)

ZimID  46B98555 1993/12/15  0D 6E 96 68 D6 B3 9A 96  20 ED 1F AF 11 46 13 79