Re: Debian libc5 to libc6 Mini-HOWTO (regular posting)

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Brandon Mitchell wrote:

> Scott, I had some problems.  Specifically:
>
> 	bhmit1@hobbes(p1):bhmit1$ /bin/bash
> 	/bin/bash: error in loading shared libraries
> 	: undefined symbol: rl_get_string_value_hook
>
> >   o  libc6_2.0.4-1		- check
> >   o  ldso_1.9.5-1		- check
> >   o  ncurses3.4_1.9.9g-3 	- check
> >   o  libreadline2_2.1-2.1	- check
> >   o  libreadlineg2_2.1-2.1	- check
> >   o  bash_2.01-0.1		- failed in post install from above error
>
> I also installed libdl1-dev_1.9.5-1.deb because of an ldconfig error:

Okay, I'm pretty much stumped by this problem.  I can't manage to get it
to reproduce itself.  If possible, could you back out those packages to
the stable ones (where applicable, remove the others) and try again with
the new bash and libreadline packages that were recently uploaded
(bash_2.01-2 and libreadline*-4 I think) and see if you have the same
problem?  If the problem goes away, I'll modify the mini-howto to specify
the later versions of the packages.

[I'd also appreciate it if someone with better knowledge of the
appropriate packages could take a look at this, where is that symbol
hiding and what might have broken it?]

> ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libreadline.so (No such file or
> directory), skipping
> [ started after libreadline, fixed after libreadlineg ]
>
> ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libhistory.so (No such file or
> directory), skipping
> [ same as above ]
>
> ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libdl.so (No such file or
> directory), skipping
> [ started after ldso I think, probably an earlier problem with my system.
> It was fixed by installing libdl1-dev ]

Those ldconfig warnings are usually a symptom of a package being out of
sync with its coresponding '-dev' package.  It can be safely ignored until
you upgrade the '-dev' package, just don't compile programs with those
libs until then.

- --
       Scott K. Ellis        |        The reason angels can fly is that
       storm@gate.net        |         they take themselves so lightly.