Re: Debian libc5 to libc6 Mini-HOWTO (regular posting)

Scott, I had some problems.  Specifically:

	bhmit1@hobbes(p1):bhmit1$ /bin/bash
	/bin/bash: error in loading shared libraries
	: undefined symbol: rl_get_string_value_hook

>   o  libc6_2.0.4-1		- check
>   o  ldso_1.9.5-1		- check
>   o  ncurses3.4_1.9.9g-3 	- check
>   o  libreadline2_2.1-2.1	- check
>   o  libreadlineg2_2.1-2.1	- check
>   o  bash_2.01-0.1		- failed in post install from above error

I also installed libdl1-dev_1.9.5-1.deb because of an ldconfig error:

ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libreadline.so (No such file or
directory), skipping
[ started after libreadline, fixed after libreadlineg ]

ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libhistory.so (No such file or
directory), skipping
[ same as above ]

ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libdl.so (No such file or
directory), skipping
[ started after ldso I think, probably an earlier problem with my system.
It was fixed by installing libdl1-dev ]

Note, I didn't purge the -dev libraries.  If I want to compile anything, I
can live with libc5 for now.  Everything seems to work after replacing
/bin/bash with a backup version I have.  The main goal of all this was to
get netscape 4 helper apps working (didn't want to use the ash route).

If you need anymore info, please ask.

Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell                         E-mail: bhmit1@mail.wm.edu
  Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/7877/home.html

"We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds."
	--Linus Torvalds