Re: restarting daemons

On Aug 15, 1997, at 21:25, George Bonser wrote:
 > On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Gonzalo A. Diethelm wrote:
 > > Just to make things clear, kill doesn't stop anything; it's purpose in
 > > life is to send a given signal to a given process. When you do a
 > >
 > >   killall -HUP inetd
 > >
 > > you are sending a SIGHUP signal to all processes whose name matches
 > > "inetd". "The" inetd we all know, inetd(8), reacts to a SIGHUP by
 > > rereading its configuration file, /etc/inetd.conf.
 >
 > Hmmm, how come the PID changes?

Are you sure? I actually tried it here:

root@newton [~] $ ps | grep inetd
   54 psf 5 N   0:00 /usr/sbin/inetd
root@newton [~] $ kill -HUP 54
root@newton [~] $ ps | grep inetd
   54 psf 5 N   0:00 /usr/sbin/inetd
  857 s24 8 N   0:00 grep inetd
root@newton [~] $ kill -HUP 54
root@newton [~] $ ps | grep inetd
   54 psf 5 N   0:00 /usr/sbin/inetd
root@newton [~] $

I have Slakware, but I don't think that should make any difference.

--
Gonzalo A. Diethelm G.
gonzo@ing.puc.cl