Re: restarting daemons

On Aug 12, 1997, at 23:33, George Bonser wrote:
 > A quick and dirty that I sometimes use:
 >
 > killall -HUP inetd
 >
 > Which stops and restarts inetd causing it to re-read the inetd.conf file.

Just to make things clear, kill doesn't stop anything; it's purpose in
life is to send a given signal to a given process. When you do a

  killall -HUP inetd

you are sending a SIGHUP signal to all processes whose name matches
"inetd". "The" inetd we all know, inetd(8), reacts to a SIGHUP by
rereading its configuration file, /etc/inetd.conf.

The name for the "kill" system call is a misnomer from old
times. Also, if no signal is specified, kill sends a SIGTERM signal to
the process(es), whose default action is to (surprise) terminate the
process; that explains (in part) the name "kill".

--
Gonzalo A. Diethelm G.
gonzo@ing.puc.cl