Re: Blocking spam by IP number

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, David Sewell wrote:

 : I think a Debian spam-blocking package, using TCPD and generalized to
 : cover all MTAs, would be a good thing, with a couple of caveats.

That's quite difficult to implement.

One of the most important reasons: not all MTA are using
tcpserver/inetd/xinetd as their 'parent'. For example ZMailer and Sendmail
do create their own serversocket. (Yes I know, both of them have options
to make them spawned by inetd).

Another reason that you don't want to use (imho) tcpd as a spamfilter: I
like to 'filter' messages on more than just the other end's IP-address.
I know ZMailer supports additional blocking:
  - source address (ip)
  - HELO line
  - MAIL line
  - RCPT line
  - existance of a valid DNS-entry in the several lines

This makes the blocking highly configurable -> that's what you want to have
(imho again :/ )

Remco

--
// Remco van de Meent