Re: Blocking spam by IP number

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Remco van de Meent wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, David Sewell wrote:
>
>  : I think a Debian spam-blocking package, using TCPD and generalized
>  : to cover all MTAs, would be a good thing, with a couple of caveats.
>
> That's quite difficult to implement.
>
> One of the most important reasons: not all MTA are using
> tcpserver/inetd/xinetd as their 'parent'. For example ZMailer and
> Sendmail do create their own serversocket. (Yes I know, both of them
> have options to make them spawned by inetd).

that's one of the reasons i prefer packet filtering to tcp-wrappers.
block it out in the kernel before it gets to the application level.

btw, sendmail can be compiled to use tcp wrappers.  I think it's the
-DTCP_WRAPPERS compile time option or something like that.

> Another reason that you don't want to use (imho) tcpd as a spamfilter: I
> like to 'filter' messages on more than just the other end's IP-address.
> I know ZMailer supports additional blocking:
>   - source address (ip)
>   - HELO line
>   - MAIL line
>   - RCPT line
>   - existance of a valid DNS-entry in the several lines

can any of the MTAs reject mail based on arbitrary headers?  or even just
the To: header (e.g. "To: friend@public.com")?

I know i can do this easily enough with procmail (in fact, I do), but
IMO this is a job for the mail transfer agent, not the delivery agent.

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract