Re: Best mode for uucp over tcp.

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Adam Shand wrote:

> I must admit some ignorance here... what is batched smtp over uucp?  And
> why would you want it over normal uucp?

It is an entire smtp session sent as text (including HELO statement) such
as:

HELO oriole.sbay.org
MAIL FROM: grep@oriole.sbay.org
RCPT TO: someone@somewhere.dom
DATA
<headers>
<blank line>
<message text>
<.>
QUIT

That is fed to the MTA on standard input with error messages queued.
Sendmail can take smtp on stdin but it can not queue the errors, it wants
to send them back to the calling process (designed for inetd).

> Hmmm, that's interesting because we've been running UUCP through sendmail
> for over two years and never ran into problems.

Not yet.  Can you send me an email directly to me.  I want to look at your
headers.

> The only errors we get are
> when people try and send one of our customers mail using bang paths...
> which doesn't work.  None of them are big sites but I would have expected
> problems by now... do you know a site that is fussy that I could test it on?

I will try to contact that site that had trouble (he is now sending the
mail directly via SMTP) and see if I can dig up and example.

George Bonser
Why is it that the same people that tell us that manned space flight
is a waste of money also tell us that we have been visited by aliens?