Re: Minimizing Mail Packages?

> <HTML>

I would appreciate it if you lose HTML tags.

> <P>Hello All,
>
> <P>Connected intermittantly to internet using PPP to an ISP who uses POP3
> for mail.&nbsp; I am attempting to minimize the number of packages needed
> to run mail.&nbsp; It seems there are many mail packages but not a great
> deal of information on there interrelationships.
>
> <P>Am running on X the following Debian mail-related packages :&nbsp; exim,
> fetchmail, mh and exmh with subsidiary packages of metamail and mime-support.&nbsp;
> I know one needs both mh and exmh to do mail processing if exmh is used.&nbsp;
> Also POP3 support is needed for mail to and from the ISP.
>
> <P>Are exim and fetchmail also required?&nbsp; Can one one just use mh
> and exmh by themselves to do all mail composing and handling as well as
> receiving and sending mail via POP3 to the ISP?

I don't believe there exists an mh tool that gets pop3 mail, so you need
fetchmail, or some other pop3 client.  Exim is not actually required for a
single user system.  If you are already using procmail for sorting, you may
want to make fetchmail pass the mail directly to procmail (see the fetchmail
manpage) rather than delivering it to port 25 (exim, in your case) which it
does by default.  I believe you can also make fetchmail append directly to
/var/spool/mail/user file, in case it is not possible, you can get fetchpop
client which can do it.  This would let you get rid of exim.

> <P>I tried mutt and think it's great for subsidiary usage.

Now that you mention it, mutt has some POP3 support which I never tried.  I
assume it's quite inflexible though, so I would recommend leaving fetchmail on
your system.
--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@digicron.com