Re: X after Deb 1.3.1 (was Re: Disappointment with Debian)

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Daniel J. Mashao wrote:

> > > Now the Xserver is mixed up
> >
> No it does not dup core. It can only work in 800x600 mode and using
> C-A-Backspace to change mode only works for 640x480 and the monitor cannot
> display it in higher mode. This is a minor problem for now. My major
> problem is that I cannot read text in xterms.
>
> The problem is not with XF86Config file. It worked before with Debian 1.1
> and 1.2.4 and 1.2.8. I tried to generate a new one but it had similar
> problem. I thought the problem where fonts so I proceeded to comment some
> lines in XF86Config file and this did not help any.
>
> I may need to get back to the old X because it used to work fine and I
> really did not need any new Xserver.

What is so unreadable about the xterms?

What card do you have? what server do you use?

I too had some problems after upgrading x, but with minimal effort I got
things running quite well.

If you move all the configuration files to a safe place and rerun
XF86Setup you might get more lucky. You should also check if the setup
program saves the configuration data in the right place,
/etc/X11/XF86Config instead of /usr/X11R6/lib. I vaguely remember reports
that the configuration utilities in the new x aren't quite flawless.

IIRC it makes sense anyway to try generating a new XF86Config because
the modeline's will have higher refresh rates.

Good luck,

Joost