Re: PPP: PAP Problems

Peter Weiss wrote:

> Hello out there,
>
>     trying to set up PPP I run in the following problem: Chat dials,
>     connection is established. But the authentification fails.
>
>     My ISP-sysop says it tries to connect using CHAP, though only PAP is
>     available. So where to tell pppd to use PAP? I put comments around +pap
>     and +chap lines in the options file which is meant to be used for a ppp
>     server setup.
>
>     Another question is: There are more then one number to dial to my ISP. So
>     same resolv.conf but different chat scripts. Would you solve this using a
>     shell based dialer script to dial in or are there security risks?

For pap you need two things. First, pppd needs to know what the "user
name" is for the account your trying to connect as. By default I
think pppd will use `hostname`. This is set by passing "user <uname>"
on the pppd command line. Second, you'll need an entry in
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets which contains:

<uname> <remote-name> <password>

You may use "*" for <remote-name>. Thus, if my ppp account with my ISP
has an account name of "daffy" and the password is "duck" I run
pppd as:

pppd connect /some/bin/connect-script user daffy 1.2.3.4:

and in my /etc/ppp/pap-secrets I have the line:

daffy * duck

If you do all this and it still doesn't work. Come on back, but before
you do, run pppd with "debug" on the command line and give us the
output you find in /var/log/ppp.log please.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com