kernel compilation problem

Hi...

Here is my problem:

I just installed an Debian  1.3.1 linux box. During the intalling
procces I choose the options apropiate (support to java,suport to my
NE2000 card,etc).

After intalling, the system is OK (I think).

Today I recompile the kernel 2.0.29 and here is when problems arose:

When I boot whith new kernel, I see that during booting procces the
kernel try setup my NE2000 network card TWO TIMES: the frist one they
setup OK, but the second one it say me that it don't found the NE2000
network card. why? what can I do to solve it?

Similar problems arosen whith another devices, protocols,drivers,etc.

I suposse that this problems is due to that I include module support to
this devices (protocols,drivers,etc) the first time that I installed my
Debian.

Here is that I do to make an new kernel:

1.- I install the kernel source pakages

2.- cd /usr/src/linux
3.- make mrproper
4.- make xconfig (here I choose the apropiate options to me)
5.- make dep ; make clean
6.- make zImage (compile the kernel)
7.- make modules (compile the modules that I choose before)
8.- make modules_install (install the modules)
9.- configure lilo to boot whith new kernel.
10.- shutdown and reboot system.
11.- Here arose problems.................

....please help me.

thanks.
bye