Re: PCMCIA problems with Debian 1.3

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Mark Phillips wrote:

> There have been a few people asking about problems with PCMCIA for
> Debian 1.3.  The pcmcia-modules packages provided by Debian 1.3 are
> broken.
>
> I got it working a few weeks ago with some difficulties.  The way to solve
> it is to install a kernel-source package (either 2.0.29 or 2.0.30),
> install the pcmcia-source package, and then follow the documentation
> contained in /usr/doc/pcmcia-source/ in order to create your own
> pcmcia-modules package, then install that.

My solution was to grab the pcmcia-cs and pcmcia-modules-2.0.29 from
rex-fixed.  The 1997-05-30 boot disks that I used (1.3.0 CD set from
i-connect) use kernel 2.0.29.  I made an ext2fs floppy on another box,
stuck those two files on it, and hauled it over.  After loading those two
packages, I was able to bring up the network (via my 3c589), and NFS mount
my source (the CD ROM accross the room)...

After than, I installed kernel-source -headers and -image for 2.0.30,
kernel-package, make, gcc, pcmcia-source and the other assorted suspects.
I then rebooted under 2.0.30, built my own cs and modules, and then
finished doing my installation (which I did by hand, rather than dselect,
just for a change of pace)...

Jason Costomiris                 | Finger for PGP 2.6.2 Public Key
jcostom@sjis.com                 | "There is a fine line between idiocy
My employers like me, but not	 | and genius.  We aim to erase that line"
enough to let me speak for them. |			--Unknown

	        	http://www.jasons.org/~jcostom