PCMCIA problems with Debian 1.3

Hi,

There have been a few people asking about problems with PCMCIA for
Debian 1.3.  The pcmcia-modules packages provided by Debian 1.3 are
broken.

I got it working a few weeks ago with some difficulties.  The way to solve
it is to install a kernel-source package (either 2.0.29 or 2.0.30),
install the pcmcia-source package, and then follow the documentation
contained in /usr/doc/pcmcia-source/ in order to create your own
pcmcia-modules package, then install that.

If you're installing debian on a laptop from scratch you may have some
difficulties doing the above (because you don't have gcc etc on the laptop
to do the compiling).  In this case the best thing to do is to create the
pcmcia-modules package on another debian machine and copy it across.

Hope this helps,

Mark.