Re: RedHat vs Debian (was Re: Bash Prompt in an XTerm)

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Rick Hawkins wrote:

> Redhat is *far* easier to install on a slow machine.  After installation
> is another matter :)

Slightly faster; not necessarily easier.  Since 4.0, Red Hat has been a
disaster for anyone with a CD-ROM attached to a SoundBlaster card, for
instance.

> Redhat's installation programs are apparently compiled rather than
> interpeted; they move directly from one screen to the next.  At some
> points in debian, the wait is measured in minutes (particularly module
> installation).  The installation program constantly looks to check the
> current state, which is where most of the wasted time goes.

In my experience on a 486slc2-66 (not exactly a screamer), it was more
like several tens of seconds.  On a pentium it's reasonably fast.

> Redhat's rpm is not as advanced as dpkg (though again, it seems to be
> faster).  There are some dependency issues it doesn't adress.  On the
> other hand, if you try to install a package with dependency problems
> with dpkg, it informs you which other packages it directly depends on.
> rpm does this recursively (why doesn't dpkg, for that matter).
>
> rpm has a built in access method for ftp.  Debian has an ftp-mode for
> dselect, which can automatically handle any updates.
>
> dselect is almost a nice package.  It classifies packages by types, and
> handles dependencies.  On the other hand, it is a nightmare for
> beginners if there is a missing or wrong-version package with dependency
> problems, and it is close to unusable without a pentium or better.

Upgrading Red Hat is almost as big a deal as an initial install (boot from
floppy, etc.)  Upgrading with dselect is a piece of cake, requiring
patience, however.

> The selection of .deb files seems much richer than for .rpm files; i
> couldn't find a couple of things i regularly used when i installed
> redhat a couple of weeks ago.

That depends a lot on what you are looking for.  RedHat has many thing
which Debian does not and vice-versa.  That's where alien should be a big
help.

One nice thing Red Hat has is the configuration tools.  However, if you
don't have X, you can't use them.

Bob

----
                            AX.25:    w6swe@wb7tls.az.usa.noam