Re: RedHat vs Debian (was Re: Bash Prompt in an XTerm)

> > Redhat is *far* easier to install on a slow machine.  After installation
> > is another matter :)

> Slightly faster; not necessarily easier.  Since 4.0, Red Hat has been a
> disaster for anyone with a CD-ROM attached to a SoundBlaster card, for
> instance.

this was a future domain.  But on the same machine, it took me a few
minutes (prior to unpacking) on redhat, and probably about a half hour
on debian (which i had installed many times by then).

>> > Redhat's installation programs are apparently compiled rather than
> > interpeted; they move directly from one screen to the next.  At some
> > points in debian, the wait is measured in minutes (particularly module
> > installation).  The installation program constantly looks to check the
> > current state, which is where most of the wasted time goes.

> In my experience on a 486slc2-66 (not exactly a screamer), it was more
> like several tens of seconds.  On a pentium it's reasonably fast.

i should have phrased that better; i don't think it ever reaches 2 full
minutes.

> Upgrading Red Hat is almost as big a deal as an initial install (boot from
> floppy, etc.)  Upgrading with dselect is a piece of cake, requiring
> patience, however.

!!!  "After install" is worse than i thought :)

> > The selection of .deb files seems much richer than for .rpm files; i
> > couldn't find a couple of things i regularly used when i installed
> > redhat a couple of weeks ago.

> That depends a lot on what you are looking for.  RedHat has many thing
> which Debian does not and vice-versa.  That's where alien should be a big
> help.

particularly the commercial stuff, which generally seems to be rpm only.
Something that ocurred to me the other day would be to build into
alien.deb some dependency information for common .rpm's, such as staroffice.

> One nice thing Red Hat has is the configuration tools.  However, if you
> don't have X, you can't use them.

I didn't get as far as using those.  But if they're nice, let's steal
them :)

rick