Re: /usr size and seting up a linux server

     During the installation testing phase of bo (pre 1.3) I tried to
install all possible packages on a 781+ mb partition (756 mb available
after making the file system).  I installed 683 packages totaling 724
mb before I decided I was running out of space.  Including contrib and
non-free, there are about 1000 packages in 1.3.1, so I think you
should plan on 1.2 gig for the current distribution - maybe 1.5 gig.

     If you use the ftp install, you must 65-80% more space to hold
the package files before unpacking.  This can be reduced by
downloading and installing a small number of packages at a time or by
making /var/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/debian a symlink to another
filesystem.

Bob