Re: Suggestion to future debian releases

>Dear listmembers,
>
>I have just installed Linux (debian) and I was very happy with the
>installation "wizard".  It sure made it easy to install.
>
>I would like to suggest something though.  Is it possible that in future
>realease 'man' be included in the base system?  I'll explain why...
>
>I have installed, using the rescue, drivers and base diskettes the Debian
>Linux on my PC.  Nevertheless because the driver for my NIC (3C905-TX) is
>not current as of 1.3 release, my networking is disabled (I have to get a
>patch; that's a all new story... it's been giving me a headache to but
>I'll get there eventually).
>
>As such I can't install any additional packages (I don't have a CD so I
>need to install accross the net).
>
>I have noticed that there are lotza man pages in my basic setup but no
>'man' command to read them. :-)
>
>Well just a suggestion as man does come handy! :-)

There might be reasons not to include man on a system.  I have a friend
who has a very limited Linux box connecting to a server.  It can only boot
and mount a disk through NFS, and the manpages are on the server.

However, I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to put the base manpages in
their own, non-base package?  Any thoughts about that?

---
Benoit Goudreault-Emond
Reply to: bgoudem@qualiscope.axess.com
My opinions are mine only and may not reflect those of my employer.
E-mail me to obtain my public PGP key.