Printing from Netscape fails

I'm running a Debian-1.3.1 machine at our institute with the current
lprng and magicfilter, both in the versions from stable.  Printing
works just fine from a bash prompt but when i try from out of
Netscape-3.01 i only get the following error message:

    Netscape: subprocess diagnostics (stdout/stderr)
    lp: Find_printcap_entry: name 'lp' has meta character '|'

I've set up Netscape the way it is described in the document
"http://members.ping.at/theofilu/netscape.html"; to make it stop
segfaulting at random. My startup script looks like this:

    #!/bin/bash
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/netscape
    # ldd /usr/local/bin/netscape
    /usr/local/lib/netscape/netscape $*

Any idea someone what could be the problem?
                                             Cheers, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de
   My Homepage in the WWW at the URL http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig