Re: Suggestion to future debian releases

From: "Robert D. Hilliard" <hilliard@metrolink.net>
>      I think it would be better to try to reduce the size of the base
> system as much as possible.  Perhaps the base install script could ask
> the user if he wants to install ppp and networking programs, rather
> than automatically include them.

Yes, some folks, like the Space Shuttle, want a minimal system. Even they
commented that they installed an editor.

>      Several years ago, I installed a minimal Slackware installation on
> a < 10 mb partition, with the intent of making an emergency/repair
> tool.  Subsequently, I removed some files, and added a few others,
> resulting in 5535 kb on a 6170 kb partition.  I still keep this
> partition for emergency use.
>
>      It would be very difficult to make such an installation with
> debian.

Perhaps, but our 1.44MB rescue disk does this well, and can be used on
a tiny hard disk partition with no problem. Just dd it over and it might
even be bootable without putting LILO on it.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@pixar.com   510-215-3502