Re: Reading news offline (Was: Using "suck" to transfer news....)

On 20 Jul 1997, Stig Sandbeck Mathisen wrote:

> JC> innxmit is a part of the inn package.  However, it is almost
> JC> *never* directly invoked.  It usually gets called by nntpsend,
> JC> after it parses the nntpsend.ctl file.
>
> Ok, I just follow the suck man page, but I must admit I haven't gotten
> it to work yet.  Suck transfers some articles from the server, and
> makes a batchfile for innxmit, but innxmit wants to read from
> /var/spool/news/out.going, which seems to be for articles headed the
> other way. (I have to work on that too, but first read, then post :)
>
> Does anyone else use suck+inn to get news offline, in that case I
> would be happy if anyone could drop me a hint on how.  (If anyone uses
> something else to do that, I would be happy to hear about that as
> well... :)

suck brings info from your provider to a directory under /var/lib/suck
and creates a *batch* file in /var/lib/suck. innxmit is then started
something like this (from /usr/sbin/get-news.inn):

innxmit localhost /var/lib/suck/batch.provider.?????????

Do you get a batch file in /var/lib/suck?

Or a file called suck.restart? A file by this name generally
means it started to download articles, but has not finished. It
will not call innxmit until it gets all the articles it wanted
to get from your provider. Hint - go after only one newsgroup
initially, until you have things working.

Looking at the log and error files in /var/log/suck* and
/var/log/news/* may be of some value in finding out what is
going on.

: W. Paul Mills          : Bill, I was there several years ago.     :
: Topeka, Kansas, U.S.A. : Why would I want to go back tomorrow?    :
: wpmills@midusa.net     : Where were you!                          :
: paulmills@bix.com      : Linux:     Tomorrow's operating system,  :
: paulmills@aol.com      :            here, today.                  :
: compuserve 70023,1750  : #define MY_TRUE_LOVE computer            :
:--------------  http://homepage.midusa.net/~wpmills/  -------------: