Re: checking that xfs is working

Rick Hawkins wrote:
> judging by the staggering delays to load lyx, which brings x to a halt,
> i'd bet it isn't running.  But how do i check, and how do i fix it?

All the info you need is hiding in the man pages.  You just need
to figure out which ones.  The following is what I found:

% xset q
<snip>
Font Path:
 /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/
<snip>
% man xfs
<snip>

FONT SERVER NAMES
       One of the following forms can be  used  to  name  a  font
       server that accepts TCP connections:

           tcp/hostname:port
           tcp/hostname:port/cataloguelist

       The  hostname  specifies  the  name  (or  decimal  numeric
       address) of the machine on which the font server  is  run­
       ning.   The port is the decimal TCP port on which the font
       server is listening for  connections.   The  cataloguelist
       specifies a list of catalogue names, with '+' as a separa­
       tor.

<snip>
% man xset
<snip>
       +fp or fp+
               This  +fp  and fp+ options prepend and append ele­
               ments to  the  current  font  path,  respectively.
               They must be followed by a comma-separated list of
               entries.
<snip>
% xset fp+ tcp/fontserver:7100
% xset q
<snip>
Font Path:
 /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,tcp/font1:7100
<snip>
%

Of course in the above example you should substitute the name of
the host which runs xfs instead of "fontserver".

You can make this change permanent by putting the following line
in your /etc/X11/XF86Config under the Section "Files".

    FontPath   "tcp/font1:7100"

This change will not take effect until you restart your x server
which is why the above walk through used xset to change the font
path in your running server.

I hope this helps.

Behan

--