Re: Questions from a future user

On Sun, 13 July 1997, Shaleh wrote:

> What are Debian's pro's and con's?  How hard is its PPP setup and how
> stable are its PPP connections.  I will be using my box to dial an ISP
> and do school work.

Well, here is my 2 cents :

Pros:
	Large, competent volunteer development staff
	Automated installation and upgrade over ftp using dpkg and dselect
	Timely, friendly, competent help with problems via this list
	There is a Debian package for almost anything you could want

Cons:	None not shared by any other Linux distribution, or any other
	large software project of any type, for that matter.

PPP stability:  I lose link maybe once every two months.  I know for sure
that some of that is attributable to my isp (university).  Other times
might be phone lines.

PPP setup:  Pretty easy.  If you have a working ppp options file and
chatscript, just stick them in.  No kernel recompiles, ect like in the old
days.  For a new setup, just edit the /etc/ppp.options_out and the
/etc/ppp.chatscript files.  Bring the link up and down by running the pon
and poff commands (shell scripts) as root.  Debug your chatscript by
looking in /usr/adm/syslog.  If you have a PnP modem, you may need to set
up your modem using the isapnptools package.

Mike