Re: PPP setup (was: Questions from a future user)

> On Sun, 13 July 1997, Shaleh wrote:
>
> > What are Debian's pro's and con's?  How hard is its PPP setup and how
> > stable are its PPP connections.  I will be using my box to dial an ISP
> > and do school work.

I just did a test install using the 1.3 official disk (from lsl).  I took
some notes of exactly what was needed for me to set ppp up:
1) edit /etc/ppp.chatscript and /etc/ppp.options_out, pretty straight
  forward using the comments in chatscript, never had to change the
  options.
2) chgrp and chmod ppp.chatscript and ppp.options_out so it is readable by
  members of group dip.
3) add appropriate users to the dip group (/etc/group)
4) set up the dns in /etc/resolv.conf (or say you are connected to a
  network during the installation process, it will prompt for this).
5) make a link from /dev/modem to the appropriate /dev/ttyS?

All done, use pon / poff to start and stop the ppp connection (or you
could use diald I guess, never used it myself).  Is there a step by step
in the install notes like this?

HTH,
Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell                         E-mail: bhmit1@mail.wm.edu
  Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/7877/home.html

"We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds."
	--Linus Torvalds