Re: X & modprobe gone wild

> I should have said it's the parallel port.  Network printers should
> work without anything on the parallel port.  For a few common
> protocols, Linux should be able to print to them.  Make sure there's
> no local printer in your /etc/printcap if you don't have one attached.

I find
lp|Generic dot-matrix printer entry:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :df=/etc/filter.ps:\
        :tf=/etc/filter.pcl:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:\
        :lf=/var/log/lp-errs:\
        :pl#66:\
        :pw#80:\
        :pc#150:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:

I suppose I should comment this out?

> >    95  ?  S      0:01 /sbin/kerneld
> > 11167  ?  S      0:00  \_ modprobe -k -s char-major-6
> > 11168  ?  S      0:00      \_ sh -c echo /lib/modules/boot/lp.o /lib/modules/
> boot/lp.o /lib/modules/`uname -r`/fs/lp.o /lib/modu
> > 11181  ?  R      0:00          \_ bash /sbin/kernelversion

> Does lp.o exist?  I suspect you didn't compile parallel printer
> support into the kernel or as a module.  There's nothing wrong with
> that, although on second thought, my suggestion to `alias char-major-6
> off' is probably quite good.

It shouldn't; i told it not to indclude it, and have neither parallel
printer nor prospect for one in the future.

and also,

> It's unusual for anything other than lpd to open /dev/lp*, so I would
> look there. You say that you have no local printer, but there are a couple
> of network printers you use - is there any chance that your /etc/printcap
> contains a definition of a local printer? If so, then accidentally sending
> a job to that queue would make lpd start trying to open the printer port
> to print the data.

there is a network printer that i think i could use, once i figure out
how.  For now, though, all printing is by ftping to our public machines
which are connected.