Re: X & modprobe gone wild

Rick Hawkins <rhawkins@iastate.edu> writes:

> by aggressively grepping /etc, I found that char-major-6 was an alias
> for lp.  Stopping the printer daemon helped somewhat.  No, I don't have
> a printer, although there's a couple on the network and a deskwriter
> (the mac version) availalbe that i'd lik e connect to.

I should have said it's the parallel port.  Network printers should
work without anything on the parallel port.  For a few common
protocols, Linux should be able to print to them.  Make sure there's
no local printer in your /etc/printcap if you don't have one attached.

>    95  ?  S      0:01 /sbin/kerneld
> 11167  ?  S      0:00  \_ modprobe -k -s char-major-6
> 11168  ?  S      0:00      \_ sh -c echo /lib/modules/boot/lp.o /lib/modules/boot/lp.o /lib/modules/`uname -r`/fs/lp.o /lib/modu
> 11181  ?  R      0:00          \_ bash /sbin/kernelversion

Does lp.o exist?  I suspect you didn't compile parallel printer
support into the kernel or as a module.  There's nothing wrong with
that, although on second thought, my suggestion to `alias char-major-6
off' is probably quite good.

If you add a w or two to the ps flags, you should be able to see what
the shell invoked by modprobe is doing, probably searching for lp.o in
the paths in conf.modules.

> At the moment, I'll take anything that works :)  but is this likely to
> even be related to X itself sucking cycles?

Well, maybe not.  But it should make things a bit better.

--
		   Carey Evans  <*>  c.evans@clear.net.nz

"these are not inherent flaws in the operating system -- they don't happen by
 accident.  They are the result of deliberate and well-thought-out efforts."