Re: PPP dial-up script

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> >Here's my way:
> >I "su" to root and start the connection with
> >
> >$ pon
> >
> >This starts pppd with the chatscript directives I have stored in
> >/etc/ppp.chatscript. All normal debian-ppp usage!
>
> When I type pon, I get this:
>
> /dev/modem: unrecognized command
> pppd version 2.2 patch level 0
> Usage: /usr/sbin/pppd [ arguments ], where arguments are:
>
> and a list of arguments.
>
> I don't have a file called /etc/ppp.chatscript.  The HOW-TO I read
> (http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO-15.html) specifies files
> called ppp-on, ppp-on-dialer and ppp-off (in /etc).
>
> Would simply having a correctly configured /etc/ppp.chatscript cause
> pon to operate correctly?  Or Do I have another config problem?  Or
> something else I need to install?  BTW my PPP connection works fine
> when I start it manually with minicom and then start pppd.

you need to specify your modem's port in /etc/ppp.options_out. The modem port
is one of /dev/ttyS* devices.  If your modem was on COM1 under dos, it would
be /dev/ttyS0, COM2 would be /dev/ttyS1 and so on.  Attached is a sample
ppp.options_out.

> Could you (or anyone else?) perhaps send me a working example of
> /etc/ppp.chatscript?

chatscripts are very simple.  They consist of expect: execute pairs.
attached is also a sample ppp.chatscript.  Note the \q in front of the
password, it hides the pass from logs.

Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@digicron.com