Re: Putting /var, /tmp and /home in one partition

On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, David Wright wrote:

> I've partitioned my disk roughly so:
>         /       32MB
>         swap
>         /usr    500MB
>         /yak    1.5GB
> with the intention of putting /var, /tmp and /home together in /yak.
> When I had initialised and mounted /yak in the installation program,
> I switched to console 2 and typed:
>         mkdir /target/yak/var
>         ln -s ../yak/var /target/var

I'm not very sure about this, but I think:

This makes sense only during installation, when the future root filesystem
is under /target. After installation is finished, the /target directory
does not exist (in the regular root filesystem - unless you explicitly
made one during installation with 'mkdir /target/target').

try this:

	cd /target
	mkdir yak/var
	ln -s yak/var var
> and the same for tmp and home.

>	... So, for example, ls -l /target/var gives
>         lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    10 Jul 9 16:05 /target/var -> ../yak/var

It might work if it looks like this:

          lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    10 Jul 9 16:05 /target/var -> yak/var

I hope for you it works then.

debian-user-request@lists.debian.org .