Re: apcupsd, genpower, and PowerShute(TM) "Black" cable.

Nils Rennebarth <nils@nus.de> writes:

> I thouroughly hacked apcd for private use adding the following features:
> - - Close and reopen logfiles on HUP signal.
> - - Make shutdown dependent on the remaining battery load.
> - - Slave uses init for shutdown.
> - - Master uses shutdown code from lates sysvinit (2.71)
> (Not mentioning many code cleanups)
>
> A further project might be a program able to communicate with a java applet
> to enable monitoring the ups from any java capable browser. This might then
> be a complete functional replacement for APC's power-chute software, and
> even better because it will work over the net on any client. But I can't
> tell when time allows this...

 FYI: There's a guy who has already done this and hacked a package
named smupsd (also based on upsd); it's under the GPL and available
at <ftp://cms180.cmsnet.com/pub/smupsd/>.
Wouldn't it be better to look at his package (and maybe work together with
him)? I couldn't yet try it out because it is in RPM-format and don't have
Java installed yet.
What about to debianize this package?

Greetings                    Joachim

--
Joachim Trinkwitz                            email: jtr@uni-bonn.de
CIP-Pool Anglistik, Germanistik,             phone: 0228-737565